Subject: Quicktime and Flash (wishlist)
From: Jonathan Baldwin
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:04:26 GMT

I've been messing about with the Sprite exporter for Director from Apple.

Basically, for those who didn't know, Quicktime supports sprites - this
was undocumented in version 2 but is now 'official' in version 3.

Using the Xtra from Apple's web site, I exported a director movie in both
Sprite and 'traditional' QT video formats and, while the video came in at
6Mb, the Sprite version came in at just 200k.

Obviously, this offers some great opportunities for using Director.
For example, I was using Director to produce a Quicktime screensaver.
Using Sprites made a screensaver of a much more realistic size for
downloading off the web.

Anyway, to my points:

1 It would be great if Flash had a Quicktime Sprite exporter option as
well as the current video option.
2 As Quicktime 3 now supports vector formats, perhaps it would be an idea
for Flash 3 to support this too.

I tried the Flash wishlist email address but it bounced, so anyone at MM
who can pass this on, please do!

I saw a preview of Flash 3 the other day and it looks cool. Drop down
menus, animated buttons and all sorts. Looks like the guys at MM take
notice of what developers who use the tools want. If only other software
houses could do the same!
Also Macromedia Fireworks (is that the name?) looks interesting. Of
particular interest is the ability to divide an image into sections for
use in a table. I find Photoshop a real pain in this respect.) If
realistically priced as a companion to Pshop rather than a competitior,
it shoudl be a success.
Any news on release dates?

Jonathan Baldwin, Design, Illustration, Web