Subject: Re: FLASH: Selfish (Sidenote)
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:25:17 GMT

> A recent
> posting to the list for a job said, and I quote "If
> you're a newbie, or someone who read the books and
> worked with Flash at home and are looking for
> experience, don't call."

As someone else still working on having what it takes to do what I want
(isn't everyone?) rather than a "Flash Expert," I keep my eye on all the job
posts that come through, just to see what's up. I agree with all the things
other people already said - do some projects, take on some volunteer work if
you need work for your portfolio. Local schools and charities and things of
that nature always seem to be dying for someone to help them out. And apply
for all the jobs you can find (that's the only way I've ever gotten a job -
apply for everything, get hints from the people looking at your portfolio.
Ask *them* what they like and what they don't like about it - where it's not
strong enough, and then work on making those parts stronger. That's been a
standard in print design for ages.) (My work is still mostly print, in case
you can't tell :)

But I'd also like to say that I saw this job, and it didn't sound all that
great to me, so I wouldn't really get discouraged over it. It was in NYC
(where cost of living is high) and was offering (low end) 50k, wanting
someone onsite, that was an undisputed expert. Flash IS hot right now. There
are tons of jobs, at least in the right places (none in Kentucky, but hey
that's how it goes ;) A friend of mine did a job search on one of the
"geekfinder" boards a few days ago for Flash jobs and found 143 jobs listed
in New York, several of them offering 100k salaries. A specifically
non-entry-level position for half that just doesn't sound that good to me -
I can get that much doing just print design somewhere besides New York :).
Not all the people who write job ads (or set the salary requirements) really
understand where the market is or what's involved... don't let it get you
down. Keep working and looking for places that'll give you a chance and like
what you have to offer. It sounds like the company might have had some bad
experiences with people who taught themselves - a hint to stay professional
to keep the doors open for those behind us.

Laura

flasher is generously supported by...