Subject: RE: FLASH: OT: Great LiveMotion Article
From: Branden Hall
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:43:05 GMT

Here's why I *greatly* dislike LiveMotion:
* No real interactivity (back to Flash 3)
* No optimization built in (no bandwidth profiler, etc)
Quote from the manual "You can optimize your artwork in
LiveMotion by choosing export quality settings and
viewing the resulting file size." - uh no
* It never tells you the *real* name of your Movie Clip instances so that
you can script them with JS
(I honestly hope I am wrong there!)
* I am never explicitly told "HEY, this is a *BITMAP* effect and will affect
your file size by XXX bytes"
In other words, artists will think its okay to do lots of tweens with fancy
Photoshop filters and then be left to
wonder why the file size is huge... I will have to teach our artists exactly
what they are and aren't allowed to do... ugh
* No library (like there is in Flash, I understand LiveMotions, but its not
the same).. come on folks Aliases? What the heck is that? I never have a
clear concise way of looking through what assets I am using (I know I could
look in the timeline, but that's not the point, I still can't get a usage
count, or just preview my objects before I use them)
* No adjustments for easing tweens... just ease out and ease in?!? Come
on...
* The HTML text editor that doesn't seem to work when exporting to flash
(please say I am wrong here!)

To be fair, here are the things that I like...
* The pen tool
* The collapsibility of the timeline
* The softness layer attribute (It makes things big... but its still nice!)
* The color palette... I love the multiple views
* The color schemes... don't know much about it yet, but the theory rocks,
and its already helped me some
* The palette mentality of the whole thing... I love palettes
* The new gradient options, burst, etc..
* The non-destructive object oriented approach to the whole thing, I can't
stress this enough.

Now... here's why over all I think LiveMotion is bad...
While it is object oriented approach to building animation is inherently a
good idea, Adobe just did a mirror image of Macromedia. Macromedia Flash
ignores the fact that how symbols interact should be object based, but
enforces a object based
approach to using those symbols with the library and the fact that
reusability is the key (things *must* be symbols) Adobe lets symbols (which
they call objects) interact in an object based manner, but don't enforce the
use of these as objects.
Their alias idea is weak and not forced, thus it will be easy for people to
ignore it and lose the inherit file size benefits of the reusability of
symbols.

All in all the program steps too far away from the way the SWF format works
and the technical details of making web based animations. It get too caught
in making things look nice while ignoring the fact that optimization is key,
else we would all be using Director!!

-= Branden J. Hall
-= Multimedia Developer/Instructor
-= Fig Leaf Software - "We've got you covered!"