Subject: Re: FLASH: Moonfruit.com - portal redesign
From: DSG
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:51:41 GMT

Alias|Rob wrote:
> Hmm... I'd be interested in any suiggestions as to how you'd suggest we should
> do this? Genuinely, we are at a loss as to how we could make it any more
> straightforward..

first off... I'm not content/marketing expert... I'm just spitting out ideas...

The text that's on the index page that describes the site a little
better is where I'd start (I totally skipped this text in eagerness to
click on the "go" button, which in turn, made me feel like I was playing
with a toy instead of operating a tool that I could use). I'd maybe put
that on the page you hit when you click on "go" by the moon. replacing
the "your top sites" with that (or part of that (the first paragraph
perhaps)) description. "My top sites" confused me as I had not picked
any sites to be bookmarked there. Maybe on my next visit, or after I
had saved some, then they replace the text with that "top sites" list,
or perhaps a dropdown menu next to the "login" and "more info" buttons.

I really hate the "clicking the go button to enter" but I suppose it's
sometimes necessary.

The community you are trying to build in the great part to me.. but I
don't sense it. I see something like this:
-------
Search our communities:__________________ go>
or browse the community categories:
Technology Games
Animals Books
Toys Learning Flash
-------

tucked away in a corner somewhere... the featured site is cool... but at
first glance I think it's jsut another demo. the white rollover text
gets lost in the background as well.

I'd like to know what my url would be up front too...
"yourname.moonfruit.com"... I know a lot of people hate those long url's
but this is a nice easy (and cool!) one that you should promote asap.

Also, the buttons in the top right corner to create, find and take a
tour don't catch my attention with all the movement going on in the
heart of the page. I'd have them toggle off and on occasionally... they
need to pop.

I created a site and found it scary at first, but once I click around a
bit, everything was pretty easy.

when I went to my site in a new window, I got the
error:ec=1&errorcode=1&loaded=true in the browser window.
when in the same window, it worked fine (mac os9 g3 communicator 4.6)

All in all I think it rocks and couldn't have done any better myself.
I've very impressed with it as is. I hope you guys makes lots and lots
of money (or fame or whatever your goal is =) from it. I hope you don't
mind all the critiquing, but I really love the idea and hope it
succeeds.. it kinda reminds me of something I'm working on :)

Have a good one,

DSG
http://dreambound.moonfruit.com

flasher is generously supported by...