Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: QT in LiveMotion
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 22:27:01 GMT

At 2:40 AM 3/8/0, Henrik Friberg wrote:
> Well, of course it's possible to add flash to a QT, but QT's get
> too big to be on the Net. What I want is the possibility to just
> import a QT into the .fla, place it where I want and then when I
> publish the .swf the QT is there (perhaps via some sort of link..?).

That's true, but if we brought the QuickTime content into the Flash file,
then it would still be just about as large as when the Flash content is
brought into the QuickTime file.

It's certainly possible to make a QuickTime file which is mainly Flash
assets... essentially wrapping Flash content in MOV. It's all that
pixel-based realworld imagery that's the expensive part, though.... ;-)

(For Michael's point, yes, it would be nice if the Flash Player could call
into an installed QuickTime engine. From what I see in the Director world,
though, you'd have to have some interface for determining whether QuickTime
is installed on that machine, and then decide whether to have the QuickTime
display within the host itself, or to have QuickTime claim an area of the
screen and blast its content through. There are a couple of tricky
interface issues to handle here.)

Tip: If you're compressing QuickTime for the web, then Media Cleaner Pro is
the standard optimizing tool ( http://www.terran-int.com/ ). It can also
compress your source video out to additional formats like RealMedia and
Windows Media Player, so you can offer your visitors identical content in
whichever format they're already equipped to view.

Sidenote on the thread itself: A SWF is theoretically just a SWF. I've done
some quick tests importing SWFs from LiveMotion into Flash, and I'm not
sure everything is coming across. But has anyone tried opening a SWF file
from LiveMotion in the QuickTime Movie Player? We may be able to gift them
with surprise QT support.... ;-)

jd

flasher is generously supported by...