Subject: Re: FLASH: (tech) AUDIO/SYNC with ANIM: help PLEASE
From: Randy Kato
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 16:28:21 GMT

CJ,

As you've noticed, syncing audio and animation is not one of Flash's strenghts
since how the movie plays is dependent upon the target machine. With a heavy
animation (like yours with lots of bitmaps and alpha tweens -- especially at
full-screen), the processor is already taxed and causes a situation where the
sound might play at normal speed where the animation is chugging. This is with
it set to 'event.'

Using 'stream,' the way I understand it tries to get the audio and anim to play
together, but at the cost of altering both. Stream uses markers (not sure what
the exact term is) in each frame to control the streaming, so it adds quite a
bit of file size as well.

We've had good success using the event setting with a couple of other
techniques. Of course, optimizing the animation so that it's as smooth as
possible is one. The other is to try breaking up the sound, if possible. For
example, if there are breaks in the sound you can use shorter clips and start
them in the exact keyframe where it syncs up with the anim. That way, if the
anim plays too slow it won't fall out of sync too far before it hits another
keyframe where it matches up again.

But unless I'm missing something, your audio doesn't really need to "sync"
right (I checked the exe)? You're just concerned with length? If that's the
case, loop the sound. You could probably get away with a very small clip that
loops and save a lot of weight.

As for your other concerns, converting the bitmaps to vector would be a good
idea, but you should re-create them in vector rather than using trace bitmap.
Most of them look like they could easily become vector graphics.

Also, if this is playing directly from a hard drive, then pretty much any
slowdowns you see are due to the Flash movie being too complex for the target
machine. No need for a preloader since the whole file is already fully loaded.

HTH,
rk

--
Randy Kato - Web Master