Subject: FLASH: Major monitor gamma difference between WIN/MAC?!?
From: Bob Shuster
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 19:41:08 GMT

Is it just me, or is there a major difference in the way Flash movies
appear on Windows machines vs. Macintosh machines? In particular,
effects that are subtle on the Mac screen are invisible on the PC.
And things that are subtle on the PC are simply too bright on Macs!

As a website designer for many years, I of course know that in
general the gamma settings for PC monitors are much darker than those
for Macs (at least the default settings anyway.) So graphics
developed on Macs tend to look dark on PCs.

Knowing this - why am I complaining? Because it limits my
creativity! Maybe this is somehow a bug in the Flash player/plugin
for Windows somehow, but it's still limiting and disturbing.

For example, I have a movie with a black background over which I am
animating a white object. I'm using the alpha settings of the white
object to make it semi-transparent. On the Mac, 10% alpha is
definitely subtle, but visible. The same thing in Windows is
invisible until around 40-45% alpha!

*Is* it just me, or has anyone else noticed this? How does one deal
with it, short of detecting which platform the viewer is on and
tailoring content to it? - Bob Shuster
--

[ Hot Apple Spider Design - graphic & website design/consulting ]
[ email: BobatHotAppleSpider [dot] com phone: 215-402-0751 ]

flasher is generously supported by...