Subject: Re: FLASH: Major monitor gamma difference between WIN/MAC?!?
From: Alan Wilson
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 20:35:39 GMT

What I did was calibrate my monitor using the calibration in PhotoShop as a
base. If your monitor is calibrated to 1.8 (Mac Gamma for print) then you
look at simulated at PC 2.2, your monitor is going to look dark (and
vis-versa). What I do is leave my monitor calibrated to 2.2 since that's
what most people are looking at, then toggle back to 1.8 with the
GammaToggle. When I do it this way, the Mac calibration appears washed out..
but that's the way it looks on a Mac calibrated to 1.8. I plan to run some
tests in the near future and try to find the middle ground and calibrate to
that. Gamma really makes a difference on the subtle effects in Flash and can
have an affect in how you design.
--
Alan Wilson
Lightstorm Studio

> From: Jefferis <Jefferisatpathway [dot] net>
> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:49:32 -0500
> To: "Flash MailList" <flasheratchinwag [dot] com>
> Subject: Re: FLASH: Major monitor gamma difference between WIN/MAC?!?
>
> Paul Kilgour
>
>> Alan,
>>
>> I too work on a Mac. I use the GammaToggle FKey for flitting between the
>> different settings. It's a very useful device for simulating what 'the other
>> side' is going to see. I have found though, that even setting your gamma to
>> a PC level of 2.2 does prepare you for just how dark some PC monitors are.
>>
>> Designers,
>

> Anyone know how to tell what the actual gamma of your monitor is? I use
> GammaToggle and love it, but find now I always have it set to the PC
> gamma because the Mac gamma looks completely washed out. I now have
> trouble believing and remembering my Mac to be that colorless and whited.

flasher is generously supported by...