Subject: Re: FLASH: Typography (Was:Site Check: ITVerge.com)
From: Paul Kilgour
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:21:42 GMT

>> You have your justified text, but you set limits on the number of characters
>> in the line, for aesthetics. So, you have 3 measures. One being the max
>> width of the column, two being the minimum amount of characters, and three
>> being somewhere in-between. This, done skillfully gives you a kind of psuedo
>> justified text without the horrible gaps.
>>
>> It's a tough job though, but worth it. I still do it occasionally.
>
> We do this all the time for print ads, although we normally do it by hand,
> line by line (sometimes have style sheets and master pages set up that do
> it, for specific kinds of things). You know, that one's too spacey, kern it
> down, makes the next too tight so adjust that. Set the column a little wider
> or narrower to better fit with the text, make sure there aren't any widows
> or orphans, etc. But the settings in Flash aren't flexible enough to allow
> this (wider, and narrower at I'm not even sure what pixel measurement, with
> nothing in between isn't enough) and it would be a waste of time in html,
> where the user settings are quite likely to override your carefully laid out
> page anyways.
>
> My two cents, worth the paper it's printed on.
>
> Laura

Yes, it's pretty damn near impossible to do in those circumstances. So, the
creator, and I've forgotten who it is now, should leave it ranged left.
Trouble is, and with all respect, it looks pretty awful ranged left as it
is.

There's no reason for bad typography on a website. I've seen some people,
who previously had been very competent typographers go completely to pot on
a web site. I wonder why this is. There are tighter rules, agreed. The
software is not as adaptable, but if you care about type then there's always
a way to get around it.

I've seen such appaling typogaphy on the internet, it beggers belief.
Personally, I wouldn't put anything on the net that I wouldn't be pleased
about sending to print. But that's just me.

Queue the tirade of abuse!:-)

Regards,

Paul.

flasher is generously supported by...