Subject: Re: FLASH: The real deal with fonts in flash??
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 23:57:41 GMT

> Laura,
> i just experienced this the other day. I was using a dingbat that i forgot
> to breakapart. when i checked it on another computer it was replaced by a
> text font. Is it different for dinbats?? If your theory about flash tracing
> outlines of the fonts is true, any type of font should be okay(even
> dinbats).. But that's not the case. Anybody else know..
>
> -brody

Hi Brody,
Did you open the fla or the swf? The fla isn't the same. In the *working*
environment, you need the same fonts (and it'd be much much better to load
the same ones on the other machine than to break your fonts apart) but after
you publish your swf, it makes no matter what fonts are on the user's
machine, they're going to see what you put in there. It's not a theory,
really :) The only exception is in a changeable text field where you need to
tell Flash what you want because if it's editable, then it can only use
whatever font is available (same reason it works this way in the working
environment - you might change your mind what fonts you want.) Other than
opening the fla instead of the swf, the only way I can think of this would
happen to you is that your making all your text into text fields by accident
or something. Unclick the little "abc" on the bottom of the tools bar if
that's the case.

Laura

flasher is generously supported by...