Subject: Re: FLASH: MS Javascript vs Netscape Javascript - Window Resize
From: Paul Kilgour
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:24:51 GMT

> Hello, Paul. You may want to try what's suggested on this web page here:
> http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/fillthewindow.html
> I myself haven't tested it, but it's worth a try.
> I hope it helps :).
>
> -David

David,

There is no way, as far as I know of getting this to work on all browsers
and all platforms, without having a second mirror site to transfer the
viewer to.

>From Colin Moocks' site:

so why doesn't it work in IE 4.5 on mac?
in ie 4.5 on mac flash movies that are placed on an html page using the
standard (and correct) object/embed nesting are pushed down
from the top of the page. i have not heard a definitive explanation of why
from either macromedia or microsoft. the only possible
workaround to the problem is to remove the object tag altogether, using only
the embed to place the flash movie on the page. while this
approach does remove the gap, it may cause problems for windows versions of
ie. in a discussion of whether or not the workaround is
advisable, john dowdell of macromedia tech support stated:

"It would be bad. IE/Win32 uses ActiveX Controls much more frequently than
it uses Netscape plugins. Most people using IE/Win32
browsers have the flash ActiveX Control. If a page does not have an OBJECT
tag then to my knowledge those browsers will not intuit that
they should use a particular ActiveX Control to render that EMBED content.

Rephrased, I'd definitely expect that accommodating the IE4.5/Mac audience
by removing the OBJECT tag would inconvenience the
IE/Win32 audience, which has a *significant* installed base on most sites."

So, I'll stick with what I've got for now, until Microsoft decide that Macs
exist!!

Regards,

Paul.

flasher is generously supported by...