Subject: Re: FLASH: Mahjong Update
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 01:55:29 GMT

> just wondering - you are aware, that you're game isn't *actually* mahjong? I
> believe the ancient chinese game of traditional mahjong is much different -
> in fact, I know it is since i have two sets and play it all the time - the
> "concentration" type game you have is often refered to as mahjong in error.
> It's called something else, but i can't remember it right now. just throw'in
> it out there as fyi. t

Hi There,
Thanks for the info. It's actually Mahjongg Solitaire also called Shang-hai.
It's played with the same tiles as the multi-player game that is somewhat
more like card games (bridge :). Of course, our tiles are different too
(although based on the original suits), so it is something of a misnomer,
but Shang-hai is very confusing as a name because there's also some rpg-type
game called that (not to mention the place). So people on the net seem to be
calling it Mahjongg Solitaire or just Mahjongg (spelled all different kinds
of ways). There's some very interesting web sites with history and info on
the multi-player and the solitaire games played with the tiles (and links to
both versions available net). Let me know offlist if you're interested and
I'll send you some links :)

Laura
lmollettatmindspring [dot] com

flasher is generously supported by...