Subject: Re: FLASH: Fireworks to Flash (SOME THOUGHTS)
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:18:04 GMT

At 10:36 PM 3/19/0, Sean Renet wrote:
> if I make a swf in fireworks, how do I open it as a FLA in flash?

Sorry, no. SWF is a delivery file format, optimized for streaming. FLAs
contain much more editing information for the Flash authoring application.

It's sort of like the relationship between a Photoshop PSD file and a TIFF:
the PSD contains additional editing structures which add to the filesize
beyond the common TIFF exchange format.

When you import a SWF into the Macromedia Flash authoring application
you'll get the raw artwork, but it won't reconstruct any FLA editing info
that may have been used to produce that delivery SWF.

But try it: Make an animation in Fireworks, export it to SWF, and import it
to Flash. If you choose "Maintain Appearance" at export you'll have all
those painterly brushstrokes as fixed-res bitmaps. If you choose "Maintain
Editability" you'll then be able to morph the vector shapes. You won't have
access to the layers in the original Fireworks file, though, because these
don't exist in the delivery SWF.

At 9:25 PM 3/19/0, unique wrote:
> Has MM any interest in making FW "more of" a Flash-Movie-
> Development platform?

I haven't seen this regarded as a priority, Ken, at least compared to other
tasks. Fireworks' main duty is in producing graphics and code for webpages.
The ability to export SWF and AI was driven more by the occasional need to
get artwork out of Fireworks than by the desire to produce a longform
eyecandy SWF tool.

One of the philosophies that seems to drive tool development here in the
shop is that we look at the entire task a group of people need to do, and
try to enable that in the most efficient way possible. That philosophy
heavily drove the initial development of Fireworks -- instead of using one
tool for editable layout, and another tool for coloring, and a third tool
for animation and compression, you can get a better workflow with one tool
that integrates the whole web-design process.

At 11:37 PM 3/19/0, Michael@BTW wrote:
>IMHO, Macromedia needs to vastly improve the animation capbilities of FLash
>rather than create yet another way to make overlarge swfs. Its actually,
>again IMHO, not the ability to create mixed bitmap/vector files that makes
>LM so important, but rather the more nearly mature tools for creating
>complex animations. I'm talking about tools that nearly every other
>'animation' package that bills itself as such has: parent-child
>relationships and the ability to edit childed object parameters directly in
>the main timeline. Adopting these standard tools would make Flash a whole
>lot more accessible to aritists using advanced animation packages (and I
>don't mean just the one made by Adobe;-) than trying to match LM where LM is
>confused about its purpose, IMHO.

Interesting points... I'd like to request again that if there are changes
that would make a difference to your daily work, then sending the specifics
to wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com would get it right into the eyballs of the
range of people who make the tool. (Some of them lurk here, but not all
ready every message, so sending these requests to the wishlist really
helps, thanks.)

I've used various linking styles and parameter-based timelines in 3D tools
(MacroMind Three-D introduced these concepts to the shrinkwrap market), but
I haven't seen as much demand in the 2D field, particularly for shortform
web delivery. If your work would benefit from this, though, then I'd
definitely want the project planners to know this, thanks.

btw, check out the shockwave.com makeover released today... the interface
is great, but for longer-form work take a look at the Beck tune "Nicotine &
Gravy"... this is straightahead Flash work, very nice stuff. More info on
the design team is at http://www.fullerene.com/ .

jd

flasher is generously supported by...