Subject: FLASH: OT - Chrysler.com PT Cruiser
From: Jefferis
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:29:45 +0100

My wife and I were walking home from town yesterday night, and a Daimler
Chrysler employee pulled into the local Dodge dealer lot in the new PT
Crusier {He was down from Michigan and visiting his dad in my town. His
dad was going to show the dealer, but he was closed}.

We were kind of wowed by the car, and my wife said she thought is was
"cute... like an old VW bug made into a Woody Van" While we were there
[we were behind a row of cars, it was dark out] 4 other drivers pulled
into the lot to look at the car. The employee was glad to show it off,
and he said, it took him an hour longer to get here than normal because
every where he stopped, people wanted to look at the car, open the hood,
etc.

I told him he ought to charge the company for his pleasure cruise [he
doesn't work in sales]. He told me that a dealer ask to borrow a car
for an hour, and took 20 orders on his lot in 1 hour !. :-)

I told him I had been previously to the www.chrysler.com pages and really
admired the web site [done in Flash]. He said, the web team is really
top notch, and he said that the PT Cruiser has gotten more web hits than
all the other D-C cars combined in 2 years. I asked, "Not the Mercedes
cars too...?" And he said... " than All our cars".

Anyway, the web site and the Flash is really good, but warns that because
of the load, the dynamic calls for prices and features printouts takes a
little more time than usual.

My wife and I were tempted to order one. They are pretty inexpensive for
what they are [top of the line with leather seats is under $20k] He said
it handled well. But my wife reminded me... never buy the first year
model of any car [its an expensive beta test :-) We've done that
before. The original production estimate for this year was 80,000
units, but it is now up to 225,000 units with 3 countries making it, and
they still can't keep up with the orders. I really liked the retro
look. I thought that the car was supposed to be a 4 wheel SUV, but it
isn't. It is a high ceiling, passenger front wheel drive. The inside
feels a little bit like the old Checker cabs. But it isn't quite that
big. Back seats fold down to make it a nice Woody style cargo area. The
dealer said it is a mini-mini van. The engine looks like a Mercedes
design. The only drawback to its compactness is that it is not user
serviceable, except for oil changes.

Well, this is a long story and a ramble, but it is Sunday afternoon, and
just thought I would share an off topic stroll through web country and
real world encounters :-)

Jeff

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing