Subject: FLASH: Loading Flash behind another window?
From: Shaun Brazier
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:47:58 +0100

Hi,

My boss is looking for a way to start loading our Flash site "behind the
scenes" so to speak. We have a sniffer page that is just a .swf calling an
entrance page. The entrance page tells the user they do have a flash
plug-in and therefore have a choice between the flash site and the HTML
site. My boss wants the flash to start loading ANYWAY??! as soon as they
get to the entrance page, but they mustn't see it. So far I have tried
opening the flash site from the sniffer movie. The flash movie is called
from frame 1 and the entrance page is called from frame 5. The problem so
far is that I need the entrance page to open in the same window as the
sniffer, because the sniffer refreshes to the "download a flash player or
visit our HTML site" page after 5 seconds from loading. Are you still with
me?! This means that the flash movie is opening in a window on top of the
entrance page.

Once I somehow get past that, I need the Flash movie browser window(named
flash) to resize and refresh on press of the "view flash site" button.
Theoretically (this is the MD speaking remember), we will have saved the
viewer several seconds of download waiting time as the first components of
the movie will already be stored in the users machine. The other option is
to open a completely new browser window and close the other one (flash), all
at the click of "view flash site" button. I am desperately trying to avoid
a kind of pop-up city and also trying to avoid having more than one copy of
the flash movie opened at any time. Oh and trying to stay employed!

I hope I explained well enough.
So my question is...How do I do this best, if at all?? I for one definitely
do not appreciate pop-ups, especially ones trying to load 430K sneakily in
the background. This is completely down to the big man upstairs!

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance for any input

Shaun Brazier.

flasher is generously supported by...