Subject: FLASH: Slideshows: SMIL v. Flash
From: Carterspot
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:14:39 +0100

Flashers,

I have a client for whom we will be taking several live presentations, (some
with slides, some with PowerPoint presentations) to the web either via simple
SMIL presentations or Flash. The client is requesting nothing more than still
graphics, an audio stream (voice-over of the presentation), an indexing links
to about 6 different points in each lecture.

The client has had another contractor do some trials in SMIL - it seemed
there were some cross platform issues with the indexing, but I haven't had
the opportunity to see what kind of browser sniffing they were doing, etc.

I Like SMIL, I like Flash. The beauty of SMIL in this case is that some of
the presentations could be automagically converted via RealSlideshow. While
production time is a small issue, the greater issue is quality of final
product.

Given that the lengths of these shows would be about 20 minutes, do you think
streaming the audio from Flash may be a better, and safer cross platform
option for slideshows than SMIL?

Thoughts appreciated,
Stace

flasher is generously supported by...