Subject: Re: FLASH: ASP for Dummy
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:50:59 +0100

Thanks Helen.

Sheesh. Just got back to this an hour ago, but my hour is up and still a
failure. LOL. I must really be missing something basic, here. Some kind
of assumption I'm making is totally wrong. Here are some of them:

I can reference ONE asp page and it will receive the variables from the
Flash movie, manipulate them, and send back an answer...all in one page.

I don't need to have the Flash movie in an asp page...it is in its own,
normal, html page.

I don't have to Dim the variable that is coming from Flash.

I shouldn't really have to CInt the variable either, but tried it that way
just in case that was the problem.

If I see that Flash is getting an answer (although it is the wrong one) then
"waiting for the variable" is not the problem.

I set the variable in a frame. I have tried sending it in the same frame,
sending in a later frame, sending in a button. Have used getURL like you
said (great way to test, by the way, I was looking for some testing tricks)
and have used the "send along with the URL and "Don't Send the variables"
checked (that was in a sample file from that big LandRover site that Daniel
V gave us for asp samples) and have tried the Load Variables into level 0.
It just is acting like the asp page is not getting the iMyInt variable from
Flash. The iMyInt variable is blank unless I CInt it, in which case it
returns as 0. I'm getting the "total" variable back, just fine, but the
variable I'm sending has not been added to it. Arrgh. I put a little test
at a free-asp site, just in case it just wasn't working on my Personal Web
Server...but still not right.

Tearing my hair out, and it is such a simple little file. Anybody want to
look at the sample when you have time? It's at
http://www6.ewebcity.com/cherica/testonly.html and includes a link to
download the two little files.

And it's not "beer-thirty" yet! Well, maybe somewhere it is! <grin>

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution
www.awsolution.com

Helen helpfully suggested:

> replace the
> LoadVariables temporarily with a GetURL("testonly.asp",window="_blank",
> vars=POST) so that I can look at what the response.write puts out to the
> browser and see what's being sent. Then I go back and stick in the
> LoadVariables when I know the right thing is coming through.

> I'm sure you'll have it working within the hour!

flasher is generously supported by...