Subject: Re: FLASH: Download Flash 2 Plugin?
From: unique
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 06:03:49 +0100

>At 12:27 PM 3/29/0, unique wrote:
>>Macromedia insists upon only releasing a *small subset* of all
>>plugins to its "highly valued (?) customers" (us), DESPITE....
>[snip]
>
>Ken, I asked you before exactly which subversions for which platforms in
>which delivery formats you believe you need. All I received back was "all
>of them".

John,

[I use CAPS for emphasis, rather than *asterisks*, just 'cuz it's a
tad quicker to type this way; caveat emptor.]

First off, wouldn't "all of them" be a lot easier, and "more direct"
to provide, than "fooling around" with *contentions* about WHAT WE
NEED and WHAT WE DON'T NEED?

-- ONE *FAT* CD, FOR UP TO $100, IS *ALL* THAT I ASK FOR. --

"SELL US" those TOOLS that we NEED!

That's ALL I'm asking!

[*Never* had such a problem "turning" a company
"onto" a potential Profit Center, TILL NOW!]

Secondly:

John, thank you for asking your question to me "again"; I'm sincerely
sorry for apparently having overlooked an opportunity to respond to a
post of yours than I must have missed.

(400 emails "in" per day, BUT, "that's no excuse" ... )

>If you've got a need, I'd like to try to fulfill it.

THAT, *about YOU*, I already, AND PRETTY-MUCH "FULLY", understand ...

... I'm just VERY MUCH *NOT* convinced that *your employer* feels the same way.

MM *WASTED* a BUNCHA Matt's time, compelling him to put up MUCH LESS
than what we need. Totally an "obtuse" approach ... *whom* did Matt's
supervisor believe that MM was trying to please?

I feel badly about MM's apparent MISUSE of Matt's *valuable* time,
especially since the efforts that MM apparently *forced* Matt to
"perform" were (relatively) FUTILE.

To answer your original question ("which ones?"):

HOW ABOUT those TWO recent (in-a-row) BUGGY PLUGINS, for starters?
Certainly, I'll bet, you can "imagine" that we'd like to have THEM,
for testing purposes.

>But if you just eat up
>my eyetime then I'll more likely move on to other needs where I can
>actually make a meaningful difference.

*NEVER NEVER* EVER WANT TO DO THAT.

John, I'm (hopefully) "smart enough" to RIGHTLY VALUE "efficient
communication channels".

... *not* that I mean to appear to diminish your "value" to some sort
of "efficient fiber optics cable" ...

>Recap:
> -- For JavaScript and other version tests, try using the proven
> ones all over the net
> -- For file-format tests, save out from Flash in SWF2 or 3 format
> -- For the most common antique players, see:
> "Archived Flash Players available for testing purposes"
> http://www.macromedia.com/go/14266
> -- Current Flash Players are the vast majority:
> http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/sources.html

Thank you for all of the above. I will of course study/memorize it.

[BTW the above GEM of *CONCISE WISDOM*, from you, REALLY, *OUGHTA BE*
some-kinda Technote, IMO ... *TOO* GOOD to be "lost" to those 1000's
of Flashers who AREN'T fortunate enough to have found our list here.
HTH.]

>(And please do not crosspost mailing lists to additional addresses...
>that's a longterm bit of netiquette that I'd more expect you to bash others
>about than to be guilty of yourself....)

(I'd expect me to, too! Nice to be groked.)

John, WHY do you keep saying this to me?

IF I've been remiss, please point out, publicly or personally,
examples of where I've done this. I've "crossposted" (HORRID
connotations!) maybe up to five times (outta about 500 total posts)
in the past coupla months, ONLY 'cuz it was more efficient than
typing the SAME EMAIL twice or more.

*Please* don't keep accusing me of this, *seemingly* making me seem
to be some kind of "Bad Guy".

I ONLY:

(1) "give a damn" about Flash Developers' Concerns,
(2) am (obviously) FULLY WILLING to be VEHEMENT about these concerns, and
(3) JUST WANT SOME *STRAIGHT* ANSWERS FROM MM.

*How long must I keep banging away at my keyboard about this?*

John, you're the "best". No sucking up intended. If you've perhaps
misconstrued my meanings or motivation or intent or
*love-of*-Macromedia, please contact me off-list; you could even
"call" (610-373-3434, ET evenings). I'm just not the type to sit
around and wait for "others" to squawk about my interests/concerns.

Thank you so much for having responded, and for reading this,

Ken Sherwood (EAGER to revise my sig file)

--

-- Historic Flash Plugins --
We want them. We need them.

Official ? response from an MM rep to me personally:
"They're not available." (No comment as to "why not".)
HTH

flasher is generously supported by...