Subject: RE: FLASH: Dilemma-Down Payment for work
From: JGL
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:03:01 +0100

>it seems like as if I wouldn't see a dime for my efforts until the project
was completed.

More like 30 days after . . .

50% down - 25% on design approval - balance at completion. That is a
STANDARD.

Unless you are a bank and can afford to carry a company . . .

You know it's tough to turn down assignments when you need the money,
exposure etc. . . but -

I have trapped myself before into settling for their (the client) terms and
it always seems to go sideways in some way

It creates a problem for you - the developer by not allowing you to fully
stay focused at the task at hand. Worrying about if you'll get paid for your
efforts etc. They have seen your work - they should know you are capable and
they should commit to standard forms of payment. They might be bluffing!

OTOH - a high profile project means great exposure for you - they are
probably aware of this.

I'd ask them, in so many words, why?

Someone on this list has a sig that quotes something like :

"if you settle for less than what you are worth . . . you'll never get what
you are worth . . ."

Something like that - but it is true!

M2�W

GOOD LUCK!