Subject: Can't use "stop" to stop a movieclip from root
From: Richard Lettau
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:31:52 -0000

I am trying to figure how to control a movieclip from the main movie
with buttons that use the lingo "play" and "stop". I am able to use this
lingo when i put the buttons in the movieclip.

The main buttons i have been able to get it to work by using this for
the play

_root.myMovieclip.gotoandplay(2)

but i would prefer this

_root.myMovieclip.play

But i can't get the stop button to work. I can send it to a specific
frame but i want it to stop on the frame that it is at when the stop
button is played. I have thought about

_root.myMovieclip.gotoandplay(thisFrameNumber)

But I don't know how to create a variable that looks at the frame number
and becomes it. is there a way to to this. Or another way?

I then would like the play button to continue from there.... Any
thoughts on that?? Sorry if it seems so simple but I spent some time
trying to figure this out... to no avail.

Thankssss Richard