Subject: RE: [flasher] Write in the status bar
From: Paul Willoughby
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:15:05 -0000

Luigi wrote:

> Is it possible, from a flash movie, to write in the status bar?
> I need to display URLs of my flash buttons there...

Here's a way to do it that works in IE on the PC. You need to a javascript
getURL from the Flash movie, but first you need the javascript function in
your html. Add this to the head tag of your page:

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
function statusMessage(message){
status = message;
}
//-->
</script>

Then on the button in your Flash movie:

// show a message
on (rollOver) {
getURL ("javascript: statusMessage(\"your message here\");");
}
// kill the message
on (rollOut) {
getURL ("javascript: statusMessage(\"\");");
}

Calls to javascript functions like this are not consistently supported
across platforms/browsers, so test on your target machines. Also, the getURL
causes an audible click in IE.
You could also look at FScommand for javascript/Flash communication
(www.moock.org/webdesign/flash is a good place to start).

hth

paul