Subject: Re: <meta>Re-re-registering old IP.
From: Richard
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 19:59:46 +0100

Finally I can add something to this group that has helped me by sharing
their abundant knowledge on Flash!
OK. here is dah facts.
InterNic which up until recently has had the monopoly on registering domains
is now relinquishing that right to 88 companies worldwide. Please visit
http://www.gtld-mou.org for exact info and to search the addresses for each
company that is involved in the registration process. A process that will be
back on track in less than 2 weeks.
(from their site: The Council of Registrars (CORE) will have a plenary
meeting May 14-15, 1998 in Newport Beach, California. The Chair of the
Policy Advisory Body (PAB) counters the US Federal Trade Commission's
submission to the USG Green Paper. )
Yes, folks time to hustle to get those few names that are left.
The new domains will be .shop .web .arts .info .rec .firm .nom (xxx for
adult sites will be issued next year no prereging those I've tried)
Yes, worldwide. These companies have been selected by a bidding process that
was conducted last year. Here is one site that is taking preregistrations (
I have already prereged with several companies new domains.
But get this...there was a contentious problem among the European an Asian
countries who complained about the US having control over the issuance of
the domains. Therefore, and you will NOT find this written anywhere, there
will be an attempt to allow registration companies from those countries a
few minutes extra in the first round robin for submissions. Yes, all 88
companies are supposed to be polled at the exact time for there 1st level of
entries. The exact number of entries allowed to each registrant, say the
tucows bis, domains direct (yes Tucows in canada is in on this too but most
of their names like multimedia.web have been taken) so in effect each
entrant company can register multimedia.web, but only once. Some businesses
like my self have registered the same name ("****.web for instance) with
several entrants including 1 in Europe and 1 in asia to make sure that I
have a fighting chance of getting that name. Also, registering that ****.web
as an International trademark (cost $2,000.00) because, even though you can
register a name, if another holds the tradename...you're out of luck! Be
aware the consortium will hold preference of a trade name over one that is
registered with a registering company. So if a company in say France
registers multimedia.web and then Macromedia wants to register that
name...well MM may have to pay off that French company if they want to do
business in the EU. Same holds true for Asia. trust me, the only ones whop
will benefit from this will be Trademark lawyers like Thompson and Thompson
its a nightmare.
But, if you want to be serious about getting a name this is the path you
must take.
Why get a name?
I've been on the Net since 1988..when it was UNIX based and all you could
talk about was non commercial in nature. I finally picked up thepoet.com
after stagnating for years. But others who saw the possibilities were smart.
One fellow got televeision.com and then sold it to a News TV station in
Calif. for 50G.
The guy who registered dicaprio.com (check spelling) is now sitting on a
domain that some have bided $78G for. If you have a 9-12 year old daughter
who is smitten by the movie Titanic you would know why.
So I hope I have added some useful info for all the help you guys have
afforded me in the past and hopefully in the future (I still do not
understand the process of animating a symbol as a movie clip or adding
those frames to a single button state)