Subject: RE: Apple Acquires Technology From Macromedia
From: Christian Cook
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:28:49 +0100

Heres the run down on final cut (if that's what it is)-

Macromedia Showcases Technology For Professional Digital Video Editing,
Compositing And Effects
Cross-platform video software to set new standards for productivity,
creativity and quality in open systems digital video
production

San Francisco, CA - April 7, 1997 - Macromedia, Inc. (NASDAQ:MACR), a
leading provider of cross-platform software tools for dynamic media and
publishing,
announced today that it will preview Final Cut, a software product under
development for digital video editing, compositing and effects at NAB,
April 7-10, in Las Vegas,
NV. Final Cut is being designed as the first and only cross-platform,
video software technology to use open system media layers to meet the
productivity and quality
needs of all video professionals�from broadcast and cable television,
film and corporate video producers to videographers and multimedia
developers.

Using the latest versions of QuickTime on both Windows and Macintosh
system software, which allows applications to work with a variety of
digital video hardware,
Final Cut will offer the most advanced technology and a feature rich
application at a fraction of the cost of proprietary, turnkey systems
from AVID, Scitex, D-Vision, and
others.

"Like the desktop publishing market, the digital video market is
consolidating around open system standards, allowing video professionals
to spend less money, access
technology at a faster pace and choose from a variety of hardware and
software that best suits their needs," said Randy Ubillos, vice
president of engineering for video
products at Macromedia, who was recently named one of Videography's Top
20 most important people in the video industry. "With Final Cut's
technology, customers
will be able to take advantage of the technical innovations of many
vendors�not just those of a turnkey manufacturer. What's more, with open
systems, we will be able
to focus on features instead of hardware drivers, allowing us to build
applications that truly meet the needs of our customers."

Pricing and Availability

Final Cut will be available in the first half of 1998 for Windows 95,
Windows NT and PowerMac. Pricing is not yet available.

About Macromedia

Macromedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: MACR) is the leading provider of
cross-platform software tools for Web publishing, multimedia and
graphics. Headquartered in San
Francisco, only Macromedia delivers a complete, affordable set of
software tools for digital media creation and delivery anywhere.
Macromedia's award-winning products
for Windows, Macintosh and the Internet are available to business,
education, and government customers worldwide in more than 50 countries.
Additional information on
Macromedia is available on the Internet at http://www.macromedia.com.

# # #

Final Cut is a trademark of Macromedia, Inc., as indicated. Other
product names or services may be trademarks or service marks of others.

Christian Cook
web designer, ISL.
cccatisluk [dot] com (mailto:cccatisluk [dot] com) <cccatisluk [dot] com (mailto:cccatisluk [dot] com)>
http://www.isluk.com <http://www.isluk.com>
isolated? Feel the ambience: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~web/
<http://www.soton.ac.uk/~web/>