Subject: RE: When is Flash 3 shipping?
From: Stephen Ryan (ArtSource)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 00:33:51 +0100

Don't know of any tutorials, but here are the steps:
Create a new layer for your text
Select the text tool, click on the stage and create the text.
Use the arrow tool to select the text
Press F8 (this turns the text into a symbol) and choose "graphic"
In the timeline layer where your text resides, click on a different
frame: say 10 frames after your first frame.
Press F6 to add a keyframe. You now have two keyframes containing
the same text symbol.
While still at your second keyframe, dbl-click your text on the
stage
Choose the "Color effect" tab.
From the drop down list, select "Brightness" or one of the others
and make an adjustment
Exit the dialog
Dbl-click the timeline inbetween the two keyframes and choose
tweening
From the drop down list, select "Motion". Exit the dialog.

that should do it. Experiment with the settings to get the effect you want

Stephen