Subject: Re: flash v thingmaker
From: Dave Smith
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 05:28:04 +0100

Stephen Britton wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Jason L. Fritts wrote:
>
> > Just curious to know what everyone's opinions are regarding ThingMaker
> > (http://www.thingworld.com).

> I would say that ThingMaker is a closer cousin to Director than Flash. And for $99 it
> is a steal,

hiya Stephen,

If your a serious web designer and want to make a livelyhood at it dont
waste your
time for anything more than what is showing to be standard. You'll be
wasting alot more
money in your time than in the "steal" you think the underdog is
providing.

In the world of internet application there are no underdogs for long.
Like mother nature only
the strong survive and I think you can ask anyone on the list who
designs for the web that when
your gambling on technology that especially requires a plug-in, you
better have called your cards
right.

Vector animation is pointing toward a standard and even though Flash is
still a gamble in my eyes,
it still rocks anything else out there that provides the same
capabilities.

Dir is a whole 'nother story. Bottom line is, IMHO, that flash is geared
more toward interactive navigation and creative interface design,
instead of director which is geared more toward gaming and object
controlled enviroments. Director simply has not presented itself as a
web standard simply because of access technology.
We are still in a 28.8 world and if someone wants to play games they're
not gona wait around for a 500kbs
file to load instead of sticking a cd in the puter and spend there time
playing something mush more dynamic.
Not enough at least to get the attention of serious clients.

Internet is geared toward navigtion and this is what Flash does best and
why its gotten so much hype,
not to mention the streaming capabilities and open file access.

It itself is still a gamble, but more clients are getting interested in
it quicker than anything else.

To invest your time in anything else like it would be a much greater
gamble.

I hate to say it, but in the world of online the ole saying "If you cant
beat 'em join'
'em is irrelevant. Simply be the first to hop on the bandwagon and
master the technology.

Thats one reason when I came from traditional illustration to digital
design I bought a PC.

even though Mac has much simpler interface and has come from standard
use of designers, it simply has not
prevailed over Wintel which now carries all Adobe software and much more
proggys to assist it.

No insult to mac users but most can agree when it comes to a "unifying"
standard on a global network theres
not many winners, only loosers. It sucks but its true.

Think more about your own future instead of companies doomed for
failure.

Because in internet application theres only a few beasts on top of the
food chain.
and they eat, boy do they eat!

-DG-