Subject: Re: Exporting images
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 23:30:19 +0100

At 2:41 AM 5/13/98, Kelly, Derek wrote:
>However, when I place the jpg's (and some of them have to be jpg's) in my
>HTML document they don't have the white background that they have in Flash
>but it's a slightly pink colour. I take it into photoshop and check the
>rgb values and it tells me that it's white (ie 255, 255, 255).

I've seen similar things in the past, most frequently when the video
monitor is displaying at "thousands of colors".

(In 16-bit color you've got only 5 bits for each RGB channel, rather than
8-bits, and so there's some rounding going on. This rounding varies with
the video driver make, particularly on NT. This is also generally why
gradients band more at "thousands" than at "hundreds" and so on. There are
only 32 unique values for each RGB value in 16-bit color.)

I'm not sure that the *only* way to achieve a similar symptom is through
driver rounding at "thousands of colors" -- there may also be a browser
component there -- but this is one way I've seen to get off-whites in some
situations, if that info is of help.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/