Subject: Re: Screen Cap BMPs to Vector
From: Joe Crawford
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 17:54:43 +0100

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Does anybody know of any tool that can _accurately_ convert simple(a
> software apps screen caps) 4 bit bmps to a flash/vector format? I have used
> flash's, but...
>
> -or-
>
> Has any body created a template scheme that would allow fast generation of
> different screen caps based on the same template?

Sounds like a more complex question. Flash generator may have this
capability - but it's not really out yet. :-\

> This is a for a simple learning piece that we would like to do in flash.
> How ever it requires the use of full screen-screen caps. It appears to me
> that because of it being a 4 bit graphic with "sharp color definition" it
> could be more easily converted than, say, a photgraph. Am I correct? We
> could do it by the template approach but that might take too much time. Any
> ideas would be appreciated.

Without seeing the screens - it's hard to be sure - but I'd recommend
Adobe's Streamline product. Very nice flexibility - converts bitmaps to
vectors, which are copy and pastable or savable in .ai and then
importable into Flash.

Are you sure Flash can't do it, though? There's a ton of flexibility in
the settings for "convert to vector" within Flash. In fact, I've
recommended it for just this purpose to people. But sometimes,
Streamline is a better choice.

Good luck,

Joe

Joe Crawford > ArtLung = Artist + Respiratory Therapist <