Subject: Re: Which is better? Flash/Real or Director
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:36:24 +0100

Hi Anthony,
Re: converting a cd project to the web. Screenshots @:
http://www.webstaffing.net/tpot.html

>at the risk of stating the obvious, how about flash inside director via the
>flash xtra? there's lots of combinations that could work well - a
>web-utilizing projector, some combination of director/flash shockwave,
>browser (html) based presentation even without shockwave.

Hmmm. I'll have to give this some thought.

>but no matter
>which way you slice it, a video heavy presentation delivered solely via the
>web is going to be slow. you'd really be limiting your market. fwiw i
>just got a 56k modem (v90) and streaming video still "sucks" (scientific
>term).

But not with RealPlayer. Starts up right away and streams fairly well over
28.8.
Also, there aren't any scene changes or a *lot* of movement. So the
framerate should be pretty good.

>you might consider distributing just the video on a cd-rom, and keeping the
>projector up to date via a url. (a stub which goes and gets your

>we're just
>starting to explore the opportunities director as a web aware application
>offers - using the web for "live" updates. interesting area to be in right
>now.

Yes it is, and I predict it's going to get a lot more popular. For small
software authors, using a scripting program like FlameThrower
(www.allegiant.com) and the SuperTalk language, you can have many kinds of
applications *run* over the web. Spend about 5k on a *hot* G3 server and
WebTen Apache, cohost it at your ISP, and your in business. No publishers
to convince & pay, no disk production & distribution costs, no fighting for
shelf space, instant worldwide distribution, platform independent, and one
copy to maintain.
Using Flame, just about anyone can write intense server-based applications
without learning Perl or C. Then, there's Flash Generator coming. We'll
see some very interesting web applications with that.

/w

Wayne Townsend
WebStaffing.Net
Dallas, Texas
US tele @ 972.713.8705
waynetatTopher [dot] Net (mailto:waynetatTopher [dot] Net)
waynetatWebStaffing [dot] Net (mailto:waynetatWebStaffing [dot] Net)
GSCatOnRamp [dot] Net