Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: Sophisticated Preload II.
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 20:33:02 +0100

>Okay, well I guess my question is... Will the fact that some information is
>still being streamed and downloaded by the user affect the playback of the
>portions already downloaded? It's like RealAudio isn't it? RealAudio
>streams.. but then if your computer isn't downloading faster than it's
>playing, it stops right then and there and 'buffers'. I guess I just want
>the user to experience the movie the way it was meant to be shown. I don't
>want it to stop in the middle of playing and mess everything up. I guess
>that's why I make the viewer download the whole movie. I wish I didn't have
>to do that and could stream the damn thing, but only if I'm sure the movie
>runs fine. Any tips on what to load first? *shrug*

You have to plan around this factor. It may take lots of planning. Use
TestMovie and Bandwidth Profiler to see how the movie will download under
real internet conditions, then reapportion content accordingly. As for
what to load first, not to be snide, but load the stuff that will be viewed
first. Using some math skills you can figure out, given typical internet
traffic, how much of something needs to preload in order for it not to
choke before the end is reached. you can build in loops using If Frame Is
Loaded to hold up the main timeline while stuff loads in the background.
In these loops you can still have interesting content. This is an enormous
area of challenge in Flash; if you're going to do serious, large Flash
projects you will need to work on how to plan around bandwidth and streaming.

Marc Hoffman