Subject: Re: FLASH: Here is me two cents regarding, hit areas for buttons
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 21:12:02 +0100

Hi Jeremy,

> "If the hit area is a simple rectangle it is cheaper just to draw a new
> rectangle [than to use an instance of a rectangular symbol]."
> Cheaper in what sense? Performance speed or file size or both?
It would be primarily byte size (loading time) not processor
performance.
If it is true.

> I currently
> use instances of a rectangular symbol which serve as the hit area in many of
> my buttons, thinking that this saves a little bit of file size. If I'm
> wrong in this, or if I'm right, but I'm making a poor trade-off in terms of
> small file size savings major performance degradation due to overreliance on
> symbols, let me know!
At the moment I am going to be more neutral on use of which is best for
a simple rectangle hit area and say either is OK.
Which is better will have to wait until I figure out which of my tests
is giving the correct answers. One shows the symbol technique is better
and the other vice-versa. I think I know what the diff is but have to
claify it and the diff is small either way so even if you have hundreds
of buttons this is still relatively minor. But, it is at the top of my
Byte analysis when I get to spend some time on it. I hate it when the
numbers don't add up :-)

One point is you always want to use symbols for first level graphics if
they are used more than once, but this is not always true about nested
graphics. In other words symbols make out of symbols is not always the
right course.
To be honest at the moment I don't always know when one is better than
the other and I often try both especially when we are trying to squeeze
bytes or performance.