Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash Check
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 17:49:39 +0100

At 02:07 AM 5/6/99 -0500, you wrote:

>My portfolio page intro at Photocola.com
>
>http://www.photocola.com/mm/kyoung/index.htm

It certainly moves fine. I found it a bit confusing what to click on,
since some buttons are for rollover only. Not everyone will want to
rollover everything to find out how to get to the portfolio, so, as much as
I love subtlety, I'd suggest making it more obvious.

>Blues Society...just started adding flash content
>
>http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~mrkite/index.htm

You may well be planning this, but the preloader needs some content
(substance) other than "loading..." You could speed it up by retracing the
bluesman's image using fewer corners and larger pixel threshholds, or
simply tracing it by hand -- it only needs about 40% as much detail as it
now has. Then you might not need a preloader at all. Use Test Movie with
Bandwidth Profiler turned on to see how fast each frame loads at 28k modem
speeds. Very nice music clip by the way. I wonder if the first four notes
might be looped twice, then play the last five notes. You'll lose a
two-note variation but save about 30% in the size of the exported sound.
You also can probably compress the sound more -- it'll just sound dirtier,
which is probably fine for blues.

Marc Hoffman