Subject: Re: FLASH: tweening loads
From: John Croteau
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:33:37 +0100

Hi Jeff,

> Can you explan to me the difference in processor requirements for symbol
> tweens and how I might simplify graphics. I assume that merely
> optimizing the curves wont do it.
Optimizing curves is just one way of optimizing.

> I put in about a week's effort at creating the ship and the sails in
> Freehand, with blends to create a good illusion of sail folds, etc. I
> drew in the ropes, e.g. that couldn't be seen... And when exported to
> Flash, it created a world of symbols, but also a composite which I used
> as my basic symbol. I realize now that all the detail is a drawback...
> but what can you do? Does grouping the elements of a design simplify it
> or not?
In Flash simple is best. Do not put in details that won't be seen.
Illusion is very important in all animations but especially so in Flash.

> Should I just dispense with the billowing sails movie clips in the
> larger symbol?
Unless they make a major impact on the viewer they should definately be
removed.

> Where will I see the greatest savings?
That is something that is different for each movie.

There are 2 types of savings.
1) pure byte savings which slows down loading. Once loaded this is an
unimportant factor.
2) Processor use. To limit processor use and thus speed and smooth the
animation allow change to a smaller portion of the screen, do one thing
at a time and limit use of processor intensive effects such as Masking
and alpha channels.