Subject: Re: FLASH: Sound extraction....
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 18:38:32 +0100

OK, this was fun, and I learned a new trick!

The dualhead swf in my cache was 630k. I imported it into Flash ('twas not
protected) and exported it again and it was 192k (graphics only, no sound).
Then I recorded the audio track into SoundForge. It is an 80 second loop,
and exported from Flash at 11kHz and 4 bits ADPCM that makes for 437k worth
of audio and a total file size of 629k. The audio fidelity I hear tells me
that the 11kHZ and 4 bits is what they used to save on file size, and the
numbers confirm it.

The interesting thing is how they make the audio loop without playing the
intro each time. My guess is that they put the entire sound file in as a
Streaming file to keep the visuals and audio in sync. Then near the end of
the file, on the final cymbal crash, they embed the audio file again as an
Event file and crop it to start just after the soft intro section and to
stop just before the drum beat first enters. Then, after the final cymbal
crash decays a bit, they put a Goto and Play action with a destination
just a couple of frames before when the drum beat first enters. This way
the event file covers the gap in the streaming file during the Goto Action
and you have the illusion of a streaming file looping.

At 11:53 AM 5/18/99 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi all flashers,
>
>I always thought that making complex sound sequences (music) in flash
>movies is impossible because there is no sound synchronisation at all.
>Sound bits start when we reach the appropriate frame, which is, at a
>different time on every machine. (Depending on speed...)
>
>Now I found this:
>
>http://www.matrox.com/mga/g400/flash/dualhead.htm
>
>This site is 600k which I think is too small to have such complex music in
>it. (I mean the only way I know of to create a music like this is to
>include the whole music in the movie. In this case it is about 80 seconds
>sound, which would result in tremendous filessize. I think it would not fit
>into 600K, and on the other hand it seems to be synchronized to events in
>the movie.
>
>Please answer me. And in connection to this: Is there any way to extract
>sounds from movies, to see how things are done and so?
>
>Thx in advance,
>
>Silver

Dave Hollinden
Audio Engineer
Jet City Studios, Seattle
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)