Subject: Re: FLASH: Reply to David Gary
From: David Gary
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 19:54:38 +0100

Glenn Folkvord wrote:

> >> I understand that my offer for the model agency account was somewhat controversial.
>
> David Gary wrote:
> >Only because it is not the norm in hiring freelance work.
>
> So? Does it make the whole thing a scam only because it is not the norm?

No, and as I mentioned in the beginning of my first reply, I wasn't accusing it as one.
The web if full of this type of propaganda, most being only a waste of the developers time and money.
This is not the norm for hiring professional freelance work and because of the web's "seedy" and "suspicious" nature
it therefore deserved the "beware type" replies it got. Especially with such a large budget offered for a contract.

> David Gary wrote:
> >Glen, Your so called "offer" is to vague to be considered a serious proposition. Any professional would see this as nothing more than exploitation. This is from someone that knows what they're talking about.
>
> My initial posting was not the offer itself, it was an invitation for anybody to get more info and be given the offer afterwards. I am sorry if it came out as a offer per say, but I had to let people know.

Then why not provide a direct link with more information? I dont see how a company with such a large budget would
not have this access for such a project or hire someone to post such unprofessional propaganda on a listserver. Usually companies with these type of budgets have professional marketing depts. and directors to seek freelance(if needed) in a much more professional manner. Invitation?
What is that?

> >Your "seedy", "spam-like" so-called "offer" got the reply it deserved. Its obvious that you have no idea how
> >to contract freelance work. Especially involving such large budgets. Maybe it would have helped if you
> >would have supplied an explanation in the first place.
>
> I was never planning to contract anybody just from a message on the list. This is not something we'll be doing during a weekend!! And asking on the list is not the only way we're looking to hire hands for the project. Hey, were to look for Flash creators if not on the Flash list?

Read the above.

> >I contacted you via email and got no response.
>
> Thats because I received too many messages, I dont have time to reply to every individual message.

I question your position and you credentials.
Very unprofessional managing for a budgeted project in the vicinity of 100k?!

Again, I would advise any new freelance developers/illustrators to be cautious of these "invitations".
If the poster is not willing to put forth any "real" info upfront about a bid or handles it in a "shady" or unprofessional(out of the norm) manner, then dont waste your time.

Glenn, please dont take my replies as an insult, but an indication. I did not state that your offer, invitation, whatever was a scam,
just unprofessional in its marketing technique.

We must watch out for our best interests.

thnks for listening

-DG-

-David Gary-
Interactive Media Producer/Designer
http://www.davidgarystudios.com
dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net (mailto:dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net)