Subject: Re: FLASH: About Flash in Sweden and perception
From: Wolfram Marloh
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 23:52:52 +0100

>Hi all.
>First of all thanks for all support and helpfullness I have met on this
>list.
>I�ve been reflecting over the difference in Flash-esteem between
>different countries.
>Actually I get a little bit (just a little) jealous reading about how
>comparatively easy it seems to be for you "over there" and elsewhere
>getting appreciation for your Flash-work. In Sweden there is an ongoing
>debate on form vs content, where content is held the highest. People
>want text-based sites, preferably with ASP-techniques for
>consumer-interactivity. They want the pages to be dull, without
>"disturbing elements fooling around" and most of all - beware of
>plug-ins! ...Maybe it has something to do with the lutheran heritage in
>this cultural sphere...I don�t know, but I get quite disappointed when I
>meet this kind of "people-should-not-have-fun-paranoia". "But what a
>about an eye-catching intro, to make people "raise their heads"?, I ask
>and get an answer like this: "Mhmm, maybe...we can try that..."...

I know what you mean! I did a CD-ROM for Volvo ...
The thing about content v form is that often people get lost developing the
form - and it looks great on the developer's G3, but doesn't work on most
end users PCs. The result is that people get frustrated looking at really
amazing graphics without being able to get to the content in an easy way.
Or the interface takes years to download.
I am a minimalist myself and will always prefer a well structured text only
site to one that is full of graphics but makes it difficult to find what I
am looking for. The whole point is that the interface needs to be designed
according to the content. That doesn't mean graphics can't be nice though,
and it can easily be in the interest of a boring company to have a
goodlooking website! I think Flash is an absolutely amazing technology, and
I think it'll dawn on even the most un-imaginative clients that they will
have to do something about the way their websites look.

Don't despair.

Wolf

Wolfram Marloh

alphaversion limited

wolfatalphaversion [dot] com (mailto:wolfatalphaversion [dot] com)
http://www.alphaversion.com/
icq: 30910079