Subject: RE: FLASH: Just Back From UCON 99
From: Judy Miller
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 14:26:14 +0100

Hi Jim,
I have been lurking on this list forever. I put Flash down for over a year
as I was so swamped doing simple e-commerce sites that I didn't have time to
Flash any more. Now my husband/partner in business got a big university
contract, and I can spend some time learning <GBG>

I must say, I have been extremely impressed with where the imagination of
many, have taken Flash. Some of the sites just totally blow my mind...there
was a site on SSOD a while back for a gaming company that was WOW!

Anyhow, knowing MM, the chances of a lot of help with the program are rather
slim, don't cha think?? I hear what you guys are saying, and hear it strong,
but because of the nature of the beast, unless an outfit does have solid
scripting and programming skills, we don't stand a chance. Businesses see
what can be done on line and they want more and programmers are coming up
with ways to do the coolest stuff.

Best bet is to team up with a programmer, and then the two of yous can make
Flash magic. I am pretty lucky. My hubby is an Authorware guru, and also
scripts and programs in many languages. I use him on a regular basis ;-)

Sort of on the same note, I am in the midst of working on a rather large
site. I was planning on doing a dhtml version for 4 browsers and then
transforming it for 3. What I discovered is that Netscape has the pissiest
support for layers (the only way I could get a page to scroll was with
ILAYER), IE doesn't support ILAYER and I am sick to death of having the
stupid browser issues, worrying if someone out there is still using Netscape
2 and how crippled the site has to be to consider those who won't or can't
upgrade, never mind designing for 640 X 480. Seems to me, if Flash 4 has all
these scripting abilities, or at least methods to be able to communicate
with them, than all the power to it. I know where I am going to be putting
my hours in from now on. And hopefully have the time to do our own business
site. Freaking wierd when you do so many web sites for others, that you have
no time to do your own.

Have a great day,
Judy