Subject: Re: FLASH: Getting the mailto: to work!
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 17:40:09 +0100

At 11:28 AM 5/31/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi, and thanks Marc.
>
>I've gotten to the point of creating the mailto: link, but I'm really having
>problems I guess, when it comes to having that link actually work once its
>in my web page. For some reason the button never launches the email client.
>
>Im developing the page with Go Live

Hi Michael.

Make sure you have the command correct. In Get URL, you should type:
addressatdomain [dot] com (mailto:addressatdomain [dot] com)

"Window" should have no information typed in.

Also be sure this command is applied to the instance of the button on the
stage (not applied within symbol edit mode).

You've probably done all this, but just to be sure ;)

What you develop the page with should have no effect on the Flash itself,
or a mailto: that Flash generates. Flash should be sending the mailto:
command to the browser -- if other mailto: links (from pages on the web)
cause your browser to open your default mail program, so should this one.
Possibly MIME is not set on your server -- I haven't heard of MIME
affecting mailto: commands in Flash, but since incorrect MIME can cause
many symptoms, it's a possible culprit. Have a look at
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/mimetype_check.htm and
learn to check the MIME -- it is simple to do and a skill any Flash
developer absolutely needs to ensure your work will display without
crashing users' browsers.

Lastly, if you still have trouble, it's always a good idea to post the URL
when asking for troubleshooting on this list. That way list members can
test in the actual environment.

Hope this helps.

-Marc

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.