Subject: Re: FLASH: Aaaaarrrrggghhh!!!!! - Scenes are evil
From: alexb
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 18:48:14 +0100

First of all, scenes are NOT evil, they are a useful tool, you just have to
know how to deal with them. In your situation, look at it this way. A movie
clip cannot determine which scene it is currently playing in, which is why
it doesn't give you the option to select the scene when assigning a goto
action. The way to address your problem is to simply call a frame on the
main timeline. Create a frame anywhere in your main timeline, in any scene,
just make sure the frame won't be played during normal playback. (I've done
entire scenes full of scripts to be called and nothing else.) Give that
frame a label. In your movie clip, instead of putting the go to action, use
this:

Begin Tell Target ("/")
Call ("frameToCall")
End Tell Target

(replacing "frameToCall" with the label of the frame you want to call)
What this will do is execute the actions on that frame without moving the
playback head.
Hope that helps,
alex beckett