Subject: Re: FLASH: CD Rom production - Director is so bogus --how do youdefine the end of this thread?
From: Michael@BTW
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 03:09:13 +0100

Director does a better job at displaying images w/o artifacts & handling
hi-res images in the playback environment. It also does a much better job of
handling large numbers of images in the authoring environment, for instance
with large numbers of hi-res graphics an fla is nearly unworkable (at ~100MB
on our P3/600s/256MB ram, anyway) w/as large director projects are much more
stable.

And of course you can't embed video in a Flash project at all.

> Not having created more for a CD project than I really would have done for
> the web... I don't understand why you'd move to director for a project like
> this? Director deals better with hi-res graphics and/or video from a
> bandwidth perspective, but why would that matter on CD?
>And burning a
> cross-platform CD in Flash is easy (with toast on a Mac).

Once you find all the dialogue boxes, sure. Its easier still if your app.
does not contain any links to other files, however (see above) it is often
nec. to use load movie calls to do large presentations in Flash, and then
the cross platform issues get more complicated. Of course all of this is
handled by Toast, so its not an issue of having Flash (or Director) on both
platforms.

>It just seems to
> me like a simple presentation (powerpoint presentation) would be
> accomplishable in Flash... just curious...

Accomplishable, yes (w/o video), but Director is better at it. Interactive
QuickTime is also great, as likely will be WiMP once the local playback bugs
are worked out.

> Laura

=====>
Michael Penney