Subject: Re: FLASH: CD Rom production - Director is so bogus --how doyoudefine the end of this thread?
From: Michael Greenberg
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 04:36:31 +0100

I guess to put this as straight forward as I can. I don't think there is
such thing as project being too small for Director. I think the question
should be...What do I need to accomplish and what tools would be the best to
accomplish that.There are certain projects I have done that have Director
written all over them. I have to honestly say wheather I am going to
recommend going to use Director or Flash or both even depends on so many
factors. Too many to just list here.

But I once I know the scope of the project and see the obstacles involved
wheather it be a plug-in issue or lotsa bitmaps or an MIAW (Movie In A
Window) or etc.

So I have to honestly say much depends on the task at hand to what I will
use. To put a bitmap slide show together in Director you could do without
writing any Lingo at all so if that were the task at hand I would probably
pick Director.

Bottom line is choose your weapon and choose it based on what will work best
for your project.

Michael

> From: "Laura Mollett" <lmollettatmindspring [dot] com>
> Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 23:33:00 -0400
> To: flasheratchinwag [dot] com
> Subject: Re: FLASH: CD Rom production - Director is so bogus --how do
> youdefine the end of this thread?
>
>> I just attempted a 400 frame pan. Flash's keyframe interpolation is crap
>> beyond belief. The staggering in the move makes it unusable for my
>> purposes. It can't do everything......
>
> I didn't mean to imply it can do everything... I'm a little iffy as to how
> "small" these projects are tho (both what you're talking about and what
> Michael is) and again, I've never done anything of the sort. I can't imagine
> needing a 400 frame pan. Probably the longest movie I've done is 1,000
> frames (and now that I'm using actionscript for more, they're much smaller
> :) The projects are too big for flash and too small for director? Would you
> have been able to do the project you're discussing here in powerpoint? Most
> anything I've seen in powerpoint could easily be done in Flash, but again my
> experience is pretty limited.
>
> Living in the graphic design world, I've mostly seen director used for
> things like the cd stock art presentations... those are *really* large
> numbers of high quality graphic images and I can't imagine trying to deal
> with anything like that in Flash, no. But I also can't imagine that
> companies of that size would have a problem getting director on both
> platforms (and having both platforms available for testing), at least when
> considering the huge expense they must be putting into the printed works
> they provide. Those beautiful catalogues they send out for free must cost a
> fortune.
>
> Maybe what's really being asked for is a program inbetween the two... that
> does video (though yeah, you could use quicktime), deals better with highres
> bitmap images, and works well on cd? What I'm trying to ask, from very
> limited experience, is where are the lines? What would meet your needs
> better than what's available?
>
> Hope that makes sense,
> Laura

flasher is generously supported by...