Subject: Re: FLASH: actionscript & file size
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 07:18:57 +0100

At 08:19 PM 5/15/2000 , you wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago or so there was a discussion of the value of
>actionscript in keeping file sizes down. I decided to write an article
>demonstrating this for flashers less involved with actionscripting. The
>article can be found at
>http://www.nisinson.com in the Flash& section.
> I'd be interested to hear if any of you find it helpful and if
> there are
>any suggestions for additions or clarification.

Dorian,

This is of enormous value, thanks for doing the research. I will be
referring my Advanced Flash4 students to the article. I'd be inclined to
make a small shift in emphasis in the initial Size Report comparison, in
that the real significant saving is in per frame -- in the first
comparison, motion tweening is not only twice as big for total movie size,
it's actually eleven times as big per frame of tweening. So a longer tween
would offer even bigger savings than 2:1. And, as you point out, most of
the frames aren't even needed in the Action Script version. The other thing
I'd be interested in seeing added to the equation is some discussion of
ease of creation. Seems to me that motion tweens win out in this respect,
since they're so much more intuitive and visual than writing Script, but
perhaps that's just my prejudice. I would like to see something written
about the process of designing script for moving objects -- generally
speaking, what's the process used in figuring it all out, and how does it
compare to creating a motion tween (with or without motion guide?

thanks,
Marc

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media