Subject: Re: FLASH: Animation
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 21:43:41 +0100

Ellis Creel wrote:

> hey- i'm pretty new on the message board, but I was
> wondering if someone could give me a couple hints on how to
> animate figures, specifically, humanoids with 2 legs, 2
> arms. i've been converting eyes/leg/leg/arm/arm/head/torso
> to symbols, but then if i want motion tweens it takes *so*
> many layers and so many keyframes just to get a small
> animation that i'm sure there has to be a better way. so,
> if anyone could help me out, i'd really be appreciative. I
> know this is kind've beneath the level of most of you guys,
> but I don't know any other way to learn it.
> thanks in advance,

Hey Ellis. I don't think your question is beneath any of us! It took
me a long time to figure out how to get something to move even halfway
realistically (and that's about as far as I got too). Your method
sounds like the right one--a different symbol on a different layer for
everything you want to have move independently. But as someone else
(Marc Hoffman, I think) pointed out once, you don't have to get it all
really exact--it's the effect of motion you're after, not an exact
sequence like you might do with a flip book or something. Make movie
clips of things that will be repeated several times. Use as little
detail as you can get away with (to keep file size down and your sanity
intact). Not much in the way of great advice here, I guess--it sounds
like you're on the right track; it just does take a lot of time to do it
right. Maybe some of the professional animators on the list will speak
out with some hints!

Regards and show us what you come up with!
Helen

PS My one and only animation (which took a lot of time, though it won't
look like it) is Sockman (who my nasty neighbor refers to as "the
thalidomide guy") at http://i-technica.com/flashlist. A better example
of some great flash animation is Ronnie Sampson's lab guy at
http://www.sfo.com/~viridian/FlashLab.html, if you want some real
inspiration!
helen triolo � http://i-technica.com
designerati-technica [dot] com � 301-424-6037

flasher is generously supported by...