Subject: Re: FLASH: jpegs/pngs
From: Hal Medrano
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 20:18:39 +0100

>I am getting confused.
>On this list earlier I have read that sometimes jpegs come out of Flash
>crappy because they were imported as jpegs and thus is the double
>compression. There was an advice to import images as pngs. Now I read: don't
>use pngs for photographic images, they increase the file size.
>
>So what should I do with images from Photoshop? BMP thing?
> Natalia.

Hi Natalia,

You have 2 choices: bring uncompressed images into Flash and let Flash do
your compressing OR bring precompressed images into Flash and then set
their properties to "Lossless". If you bring precompressed images into
Flash and then let Flash recompress them, that's where you run into trouble.

In my experience (and that of many others, it seems), your final image
looks best for the byte if you bring it in uncompressed and let Flash
compress it for you. If you're working on a PC, try bringing in bmp files;
if you're on a Mac, try picts.

But experiment for yourself! There are some images which seem more suited
to one approach or another. It takes seconds to set up a test file: import
3 or 4 examples of your image (pict, gif,png, etc.) and export them
individually and compare file size and quality. Over time, you'll probably
develop your own techniques and preferences.

Personally, I occasionally use 24-bit pngs when I need to include an image
that has an alpha channel. But otherwise, I generally use picts (I work on
a Mac).

Hope this helps!

Hal Medrano
New Media Group