Subject: Re: FLASH: Sound remixing/syncing
From: James Bisset
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 13:53:30 +0100

on 18/5/00 6:08 pm, helge stangeland wrote:

>> Seems like I'm insane on this sound thing. Anyway, someone at FF2K had said
>> that if you had several tracks (drums, bass, etc) on different levels, they
>> could sync and turn on/off and make up a varied sountrack. Has anyone done
>> anything like this.
>
> you'll get a huge filesize because you have to stream sounds to sync them ,
> and then you might as well just make the whole soundtrack one long track with
> all the sounds in it. i tried to do small loops repeating and triggering other
> loops down the timeline to keep the filesize down, but these loops of course
> didnt sync to the rest and started after the main sound was finished, and when
> i streamed the other tracks the filesize shot hrough the roof.ended up just
> making one long and fat soundfile.can probably do some sync with if statements
> though but i dont knw if it will be very accurate.director is better for this

This would be so simple to fix in Flash. Please, please can we have the
following feature in Flash 5.

Like Director, Flash should be able to pause the timeline until the end of a
sound loop before continuing. Flash obviously knows where the end of a sound
loop is, so when a new loop is brought in, Flash would wait until the
previous loop had finished before seamlessly starting the new one.

That's all it would take.

BTW, as you've found, streaming is a waste of time for loops, because it
continually downloads the same loop over and over again, hogging the
bandwidth. Why not have an option to tell Flash to maintain the specified
frame rate (ie drop graphic frames). This would have the same effect as
streaming the audio, but would free up the bandwidth.

flasher is generously supported by...