Subject: FLASH: 3D in Flash - Hopefully an enticing proposition
From: Barry Swan
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:50:22 +0100

Hi there, I'm new to Flash and from what I'm aware it's 3D support is
absolutely non-existant,and that currently the only ways to do it so far are
either by hand (innaccurate/slow) or import models using a 3DS plug-in
(large size, only does stills).

Now I've been sent a URL of this:

http://www.typospace.com/v3/root.html

Which has apparently aroused a fair amount of interest, despite the fact
that it is, in a word, crap.
They hint that someone is doing a better engine, but I believe what they
will come up with will only be a basic extension of what is at the URL
above. I'd imagine that they will simply do a wire-frame version of the
above, possibly with some sort of depth cueing and hidden line removal, if
you are extremely lucky.

Now, having seen this, I have come up with 2 possible ways of doing 3D in
Flash. One is to use raycasting. Chances are this will NOT translate well to
Flash, it requires too much array look-ups and stuff, which is a shame
because it would let you do wolfenstein-like views.

The other, which to me is much more interesting would allow this: A
textured, lit rendering of a 3D object done entirely in Flash and action
scripts, which you can control with the mouse if you wish (a la example
above again).

Sounds interesting?

Now comes the problem. I know nothing about Flash, nor do I have any
particular desire to learn it, being used to Director. So what I am looking
for is firstly to talk with someone knowledgeable about scripting in Flash
and it's limitiations as well as general Flash 'peculiarities'. This owuld
be to work out if it's feasable. If it is, I'd then like to work with them
to do the above mentioned engine. I supply the maths and the know how and
ddetails of what you are trying to acheive. Then they work to implement them
within Flash itself.

You might think this is impossible, and if so, I don't really expect to hear
from you :) It is my understanding that Flash will let you do the following:

1) Change RGB settings for an instance of a symbol
2) Rotate, skew and scale (in independant axes) an instance of a symbol
3) Display and hide instances as required.

Now... does it have some useful mathematical functions like sin(), cos()
etc? If so we are in business. If not, well, there's always lookup tables.

The main problem which no-one seems to have got around is that Flash (as far
as I'm aware) has no equivalent to the quad() command in Director, that
basically allows you to specify any rectangular (or otherwise) outline for a
shape to be mapped to. It's this that gets used so much in Director to do
3D. However, I have worked out a way of duplicating the quad function with
only using scale, rotate and skew.

If you believe you are up to the challenge of creating a genuine first in
Flash that others will never understand how you did it, then maybe we need
to talk :) I'm not doing this for any particular reason, other than because
I think it can be done. And if it works, I can imagine it being used a fair
amount commercially, if that's any incentive!

If you think the weak link in the above deal is me, then take a look at
www.theburrow.co.uk/t3dtesters which is basically the best pure lingo 3D
engine you'll have seen in Director (if you've seen any!). So hopefully
that'll put any questions about my abilities to rest.

If you are interested, then please e-mail me personally at
gerbilattheburrow [dot] co [dot] uk (preferably with links to some complicated flash
sites you have done). Don't reply directly to me through this mail, it'll go
to my work account and I'm hoping to pick up responses at the weekend.

Barry Swan

gerbilattheburrow [dot] co [dot] uk
www.egroups.com/group/t3dtesters - Mailing list for the T3D lingo engine.
www.theburrow.co.uk/t3dtesters - Support site for the T3D lingo engine with