Subject: Re: FLASH: Keeboo - More?s
From: Nathan Dicken
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:23:26 +0100

Hi Jeff,

I agree with you about your points in using Flash instead of Director. It
can surely be done in Flash, only with a somewhat different approach. And
as you mentioned, the number of Flash plug-ins distributed is much higher
than with the Director plug-in so your product would be more accessible in
that regard... The fact that Keeboo is a good example of something like
this done in Flash is a good area to draw from for inspiration or ideas.
Overall I agree with your point about choosing Flash - have fun developing
the project! :)

Nathan

>Hi Nathan,
>No, I've never worked with Director. I almost bought it for developing
>chat rooms for one client, but the client balked at development costs
>[not for Director, but for other associated database needs]. Although
>Shockwave looks like a good projector for the web, it still hasn't
>achieved the default status of Flash, and I actually link people to the
>Flash only download option because of the size and simplicity of that
>plug in.
>
>I gave the client a $10k+ price range to develop a comparable site to
>Keeboo, figuring that in Flash it would take 3 to 4 weeks minimum,
>especially if you have to draw all elements and the client has to be
>involved along the way developing the storyboard. [In my experience, that
>usually adds 3 weeks to 2 months to the process :-)
>
>Sounds like Director wouldn't be the solution unless the client wanted to
>insist potential customers have Shockwave installed...
>
>That would not be smart from a business standpoint. As it is, I usually
>develop both Flash and standard html sites for clients who want Flash.
>
>Jeff

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com