Subject: Re: FLASH: Smart quotes
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 02:25:27 +0100

Laura Mollett wrote:

> > Looks like I need to update my online ascii
> > chart -- I wondered what all the stuff between 127 and 160 was (in my
> > handy-dandy VB ascii chart those are all blanked out). Very useful
> > info!
>
> Just a heads-up. I didn't follow this thread very well, but be careful
> because anything above some number, and I *think* it's 127 isn't standard
> across platforms. Your online ascii chart may have those blanked out for a
> very good reason - they produce different things depending on what OS you're
> running... windows I believe has a more expanded number than the mac, and I
> think some of them are different besides.

Right you are, Laura -- thanks. I'll have to post a "buyer beware"
notice with the chart since it's implemented differently in different
browsers and OS's (and applications). But I'm still glad to know those
"missing" codes -- can't count the number of times I wish I'd known
that, eg, 0169 was the copyright code when I'm working on stuff in
Illustrator (I can hear you laughing from here, since I know that you in
the print world have known this for ages). Some of those codes do show
up in Flash just fine too, though as John D says, I suppose one should
exercise care when using them with system fonts. Anyway, finding out
about charmap in Windows and realizing that I need a 0 in front of the
code when entering it made my some small part of my life much easier,
for which I'm really grateful to Antoine.

alt-0regards,
Helen
helen triolo � http://i-technica.com
designerati-technica [dot] com � 301-424-6037

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com