Subject: Re: FLASH: turning over .fla files
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 18:33:52 +0100

I'm not sure what's standard, but we always
have contracts for the jobs we do, even with a
middleman. The contract will define the terms
and will dictate what you must and must not
relinquish.

The main advantage to contracting rather than
regular employment is that you should be able
to define your own means of completing the job
(time, place, method, etc.) provided that you
fulfill the requirements of the contract.

The law of your country will dictate what is
expected in the event that something is not
discussed in the contract. I believe both
Canadian and American contract law allows, by
default, the contracted company to retain
ownership of anything that is not the final
product. So I think the FLA should be
considered a 'method of completing the job'
and not a final product. Your methods are, by
default, your own intellectual property, unless
you surrender them explicitly in the contract.

My company writes a lot of custom software,
and we (very) rarely give away any source
code, and when we do, we get compensated.
The source code (or the FLA in this case) is the
method, not the product. It's not usually
economically smart to hand over your means of
production to someone else.

With all that said, it's still best to write everything
in the contract, and make sure the contractor
understands everything. If there are surprises
about expectations later on, even if the contract
is very specific in that area, then someone will be
disappointed.

That's what works for us anyway....

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com
gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com

> Would delivery of a .fla file to a company to whom you are
> subcontracting (not the final client, who probably just wants a working
> flash demo) fall into the same category as delivery of a .fla to a
> client? ie, would it be standard to include an extra charge (in
> addition to rate charged for the .swf/.exe) for delivery of the .fla to
> the company who has hired you (as a consultant, not an employee) to
> produce a flash demo?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts on this,
> Helen
> helen triolo � http://i-technica.com
> designerati-technica [dot] com � 301-424-6037

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com