Subject: Re: FLASH: loading into location (again) (long)
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 19:29:40 +0100

If I am understanding correctly, this statement:

On release: /:n=/:n-1

needs to be

On release: /mcloaded:n=/mcloaded:n-1

because "/" refers now to movie 2 (the movie in which the target movie clip
is loaded)

I think this is your problem in all your actions that fail when you load
into a movie clip instead of a movie level. Once the movie 1 is loaded into
the movie clip, it now "belongs to" movie 2 and behaves just like a movie
clip would if it were created in movie 2 in the first place. Whereas, if
you were loading into a different level, your movies are still two different
"entities" (well, with the exception of frame rate & background color...) I
can imagine that you don't want to have to change the code within movie 1 to
make this work because you also want the movie to work on its own, in which
case I "think" you can use "relative path references" rather than
hard-coding the "/" reference to the main time line (since the main timeline
is what changes when it is loaded into the movieclip) You can use, for
instance, ../:n or something like that, then it would work both standalone
and loaded.

If this doesn't make sense (& I'm sorry it is very rambling......) feel free
to shoot me that sample movie combination you have up there & I'll show you
if you want.

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution
www.awsolution.com

> > I think you will have to change the path to the variable from that last
> > one...it is no longer /:variablename but is now /mcloaded:variablename
>
> This is true for a variable on the main timeline.
>
> But while I can get the value of a variable e.g.
> _level1/MC:variablename, I cannot get a value for
/mcloaded/MC:variablename.

> Even more so. not only the communication between the movies doesn't seem
> to work, also within the original movie the passing of variables doesn't
> work anymore.
>
> http://206.83.188.222/uli_generator/LoadMovieTest/LoadMovie.html

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com