Subject: Re: FLASH: How Common: Flash projects due within 4-8 hours?
From: digitalorganism
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 15:11:24 +0100

on 5/27/00 2:48 AM, cj at cjat21stcentury [dot] net wrote:

cj

it's not common but it's not unusual. I have a client that wanted me to
develop a flash 4 site and an HTML version in 3 days, 24 hour budget. I told
them they were out of there mind. And the person feeding them this
information on how long it takes has never done any projects of this nature.

what the really funny thing is that the same person that was misleading them
on this information was also telling me that I don't know what I am doing if
I can't do it in an allotment of 24 hours. I smiled and graciously said....
well I am sorry I can't help you out.

this is where we have to step in and take control of the situation and
become consultants first and foremost. clients in general should be guided
step by step through a project process or life cycle that you have firm in
place before taking on projects. The clearer the project process and
information that you are giving to the client, the smoother the project will
run and the more educated the client will be. be honest with what there
expectation are.... if they are asking for 'monkey media' in three days,
well you better give them a heads up that they probably spent over two
months developing that. (especially the sound, kick ass sound design) so
just be honest on your capabilities, and turnaround. You and the client will
be much happier. And the client wont keep on asking everyone else to build
something in 4 hours.

(all this applies if you have a ignorant boss, just replace boss where
client is used.)

brett rampata | brettatdigitalorganism [dot] com | 410.889.0922

> How common is it to be asked to design
> an "interface" (although it's only one page, but still!!)
> in one day (8:30am - 3pm)?
>
> These people at work drive me insane with requests
> for Flash Animations, etc. all within 4-8 hour turn around time.
>
> Is it just me, or this just incredibly ridiculous?
>
> In the words of the "moron" who wanted this
> "it's ONLY a one page interface! Just like creating a one page Power Point
> Page!"
> ...you don't want to know what ran through my mind when it was said...
>
> cj

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com